Thursday, December 31, 2009
Monday, December 28, 2009
Wednesday, December 16, 2009
Friday, December 11, 2009
In the afterlife, Josette has made a pact with the Dark Lord to try Angelique for crimes against true love. But Josette’s time spent as a restless spirit has taken its toll. Is she strong enough to take on her old adversary? If Angelique is convicted, then her soul is forfeit, restoring Josette to life and beauty. If not...
Final Judgement is the second release in the new series of Dark Shadows Dramatic Readings, following on from September’s Curse of the Pharaoh. From January-May 2010, there will be five new stories, including scripts by Stephen Mark Rainey and Torchwood novelist James Goss. To order online, click here.
Monday, December 7, 2009
Saturday, December 5, 2009
Monday, November 16, 2009
Friday, October 30, 2009
Monday, October 26, 2009
- Dark Shadows fans could recently see some familiar faces amidst the new US fall line-up. US Ivana Milicevic (2004 Angelique) guested on the October 14 episode of ABC's Eastwick, while Michael Cavanaugh (1991 Sheriff Patterson) turned up in the October 22 episode of FlashFoward.
- Barnabas Collins is featured in a poll currently being conducted by the Paley Centre for the Media. You can vote for Barnabas as your choice in the TV Vampire (S)Takedown by clicking here.
- Several readers have emailed in about the recent iTunes release of Night of Dark Shadows, which features some audio not included in the theatrical release, including additional music and some unheard dialogue. Dark Shadows movie expert Darren Gross tells me that this release accidentally uses the film's original magnetic soundtrack master, which includes some unmixed edit joins from the film's last-minute editing session. These were later smoothed out for the final release. Darren located the longer director's cut of the movie over 10 years ago, and has been working on a restoration effort, which includes reconstructing the full soundtrack. So while these glitches may leave iTunes viewers scratching their heads for now, they will play their part in the eventual restoration: "It's this aspect of the original master that's so helpful," explains Darren. "All these little bits help indicate what music was used in the scene that follows or the scene preceding it."
Tuesday, October 6, 2009
Saturday, September 26, 2009
- Night of Dark Shadows, the second Dark Shadows spin-off movie, is now available as a digital download from the iTunes store source from a new HD transfer. This version is the original theatrical edit of the film and not the mooted extended director's cut.
- Rebecca Staab (1991 Daphne Collins) is to join the cast of ABC's Desperate Housewives, as the show enters its sixth season. Rebecca plays a new permanent resident of Wisteria Lane, and makes her debut on October 25.
- Seaview Terrace, the original location for Collinwood, has ended its long-time affiliation with the Salve Regina University. For many years, the property's owners had leased rooms out as dormitories and teaching facilities. Seaview's owners, the Carey family, have now returned the Newport, Rhode Island location to a private property.
- The Greystone mansion (1991 and 2004 Collinwood) was featured in the October 12 episode of Fox's House, titled Instant Karma. The show featured exterior and interior scenes of the estate and can be viewed online for a limited time.
Tuesday, September 15, 2009
- MPI's new Dark Shadows DVD compilations The Vampire Curse and The Haunting of Collinwood are out today. Order them from Amazon by clicking on the hyperlinked titles.
- David Selby (Quentin) guested in the September 6 episode of AMC's Mad Men. His episode, The Arrangements, is available from iTunes. David also features in the LA Theatre Works' production of The Autumn Garden, which has just been released on CD.
- Congratulations to Marley Shelton (2004 Vicki), who has just become a parent. Marley gave birth to her daughter, who she has named West, on September 6.
- Big Finish Productions have announced a second series of Dark Shadows dramatic readings, featuring original cast members performing new stories on CD. The first in the new run, Curse of the Pharaoh, is available now, with five more titles following monthly from January. For more information, click here.
Monday, September 14, 2009
Hermes Press has announced that it is to reprint the complete series of classic Gold Key Dark Shadows comics in a series of collector's hardcover books. Each volume will feature full-colour digitally restored strips plus bonus features, including poster reprints, documentary material from the show and new essays.
Hermes' news release for the series describes the stories as: "thoughtful and beautifully crafted; they are the perfect companion for fans of the show, but they stand on their own as fine examples of compelling and effective comic book storytelling." Publisher Daniel Herman adds: "The classic Dark Shadows books have been out-of-print far too long. Our new series of complete reprints will remedy this situation and make the entire run available to old and new fans alike."
Dark Shadows: The Complete Series Volume One is available from March 2010; Provisional cover artwork is shown above. The 208 page hardcover book will retail at $49.99.
Update: Amazon are currently offering the book at a 35% discount from the retail price. To order, click here.
Friday, September 4, 2009
Thursday, September 3, 2009
Tuesday, August 25, 2009
Big Finish are now taking orders for their latest Dark Shadows Dramatic Reading CD. Curse of the Pharaoh stars Nancy Barrett and Marie Wallace. Both actors have previously made cameo appearances in the full-cast Dark Shadows audio dramas and now take the lead for this new story. Nancy reprises her classic role as Carolyn Stoddard, while Marie tackles an intriguing new character.
Famed Egyptologist Dr. Gretchen Warwick has come to Collinwood, searching for the answers to life in the hereafter. At first, Carolyn cannot understand why Warwick needs her help, but, to her horror, she soon discovers that she is the key to the dark, dangerous world on the other side of death...
"Gretchen Warwick is a mystery," says writer Stephen Mark Rainey. "She’s brilliant and eccentric – not to mention abrasive. As a woman accustomed to being in a position of authority, she’s just the kind to raise Carolyn’s hackles!"
Marie Wallace is full of enthusiasm for her new character, Gretchen: "When I received the script, I read it from beginning to end and was so intrigued by the character of Gretchen. She had all the qualities that make a person interesting, compelling, fascinating, and out of the ordinary. Such fun to play! And of course, to then work opposite Nancy Barrett, with whom I hadn’t been on camera for many a year, why, I couldn’t ask for anything more... Until the next script comes along!"
To order the new story, click here.
Tuesday, August 18, 2009
Wednesday, August 12, 2009
Sunday, August 2, 2009
Friday, July 24, 2009
Wednesday, July 22, 2009
Speaking about his plans for the film, Burton commented, “It’s... [a] challenge because it was such a weird soap opera. Part of the energy of it was the tone and weirdness of it. That’s our challenge, to try to capture that vibe." Shooting on Dark Shadows is currently slated to begin in 2010.