Monday, February 14, 2011

Johnny Depp Praises Jonathan Frid

During an interview for MTV promoting his new animated feature film Rango, Johnny Depp has spoken about his upcoming role as Barnabas Collins in Tim Burton's Dark Shadows remake, paying tribute to original actor Jonathan Frid. As recently reported, Jonathan has confirmed he will be contributing to the project.

"What Jonathan Frid did with that character and that classic look he created, I find it very difficult to stray very far from that," says the actor on his plans for interpreting Barnabas. "I think it's going to be somewhere in that area, with maybe just a couple of different touches here and there... There's something about this vampire coming back after 200 years into this modern world, with a touch of the poetic... I have a good feeling about it. But Jonathan Frid's Barnabas was so special."

To to view video of the full interview, click here.

7 comments:

Unknown said...

That's respect.

Debjorgo said...

That's what I'm talking about!

Some of the casting had me worried but if he gets Barnabus right the rest can fall into place.

I always thought they never did enough with Barnabus being 200 years out of time. Frid was like, "My cars in the shop, but we can walk. It's a lovely night".

vderricks said...

That is great news. Jonathan Frid created one of the most interesting and complex characters in "Barnabas Collins".

Shari said...

If Depp pays homage to Frid's Barnabas, he can't go wrong...and perhaps there's an Oscar at the end of the road too. As for the compliment to Frid, that's high praise and deservedly so.

Debjorgo said...

Ooooh, I spelled Banabas wrong. Tuesday at 5:13, I wasn't drunk either.

Jeff said...

"Banabas" ... LOL. You have to laugh ... it's hard to type on the internet sometimes! I have a horrible time typing on Facebook. But, then again, watching these kids post in texting verbiage makes me cringe ...

Debjorgo said...

Aah!!! I mean Barbanas!